All devotions are written by our Founding Pastor Bill Elliff. More blogs and books from Bill at billelliff.com.

Genesis 25-26 | The Evident Blessing of God

God always holds true to what He has promised. He gave a generational promise to Abraham. “In you,” God said, “All the families of the earth will be blessed” (Genesis 12).

After his death, his son, Isaac, takes over. God now comes to Isaac, confirming the promise He had given to his father. At two critical faith junctures, God appears to Isaac.
 
THE NEEDED CONFIRMATIONS
When Isaac was tempted to head to Egypt and leave Canaan …
 
The Lord appeared to him and said, “Do not go down to Egypt; stay in the land of which I shall tell you. Sojourn in this land and I will be with you and bless you, for to you and to your descendants, I will give all these lands, and I will establish the oath which I swore to your father Abraham. I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven, and will give your descendants all these lands; and by your descendants, all the nations of the earth shall be blessed (Genesis 26:2-4).
 
Later, when Isaac found a place that had room for him in Beersheba, God comes again.
 
The Lord appeared to him the same night and said, “I am the God of your father Abraham;
Do not fear, for I am with you. I will bless you, and multiply your descendants, for the sake of My servant Abraham" (Genesis 26:24).
 
Whenever Isaac needed it, God assured him that He would fulfill the promises He made to Isaac’s father.
 
THE EVIDENT BLESSING
In Isaac’s life, God began to immediately fulfill these promises. It was so clear what God was doing that even his enemies recognized God’s hand upon His servant.
 
(Abimelech) said, “We see plainly the LORD has been with you … You are now the blessed of the LORD.” (Genesis 26:28-29)
 
This beautiful account reminds us of two very important truths. First, God will meet us where we are. When we are doubting and struggling in faith, God is gracious to come and remind us (again) of His promises. And also, God is faithful. Promises He made to your ancestors that involve you will be fulfilled! And God has rich, personal promises He longs to make and accomplish in your life if you will look to Him.
 
Father, thank you for your grace to me. Thanks for the continual reminders of your promises through your Word. And thanks for blessing me through my godly parents. May I now be a similar conduit for blessing to my children and grandchildren. And may Your blessings be so evident that all the world can see what a to-be-trusted God You are!

Copyright
 © 2020 Bill Elliff. All Rights Reserved.