All devotions are written by our Founding Pastor Bill Elliff. More blogs and books from Bill at billelliff.com.

Exodus 19-20 | The Direction of God's Deliverance

You yourselves have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles’ wings and brought you to Myself. (Exodus 19:4)
 
When we read of what God did for the Israelites and where He was headed, we would think that the whole purpose was to get them out of trouble and slavery and into the promised land. But that would miss the point.
 
We are often that way. We believe that the intention of anything God does is just for our deliverance and well being. But there is more.
 
"I bore you on eagles' wings, and brought you to Myself," the Deliverer proclaims. It was not merely about being delivered from something so they could head to a new place. But it was redeeming them to a Person. 
After this deliverance from Egypt had been accomplished, He now shows them the path for continual relationship with him.
 
"If you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be My own possession among all the peoples, for all the earth is Mine; and you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation." (Exodus 19:5-6).
 
God is showing them the path to remain in continual relationship with Him. They are to draw near, listen, and follow. If they do not (which many of them did not), they will find themselves right back in bondage. Their refusal to walk in fellowship with their loving King illustrates they've missed the point of His glorious deliverance.
 
Why has God delivered you? Merely to make your life a little more comfortable? Somewhat easier or more prosperous? Help you out of a problem? He is bringing you to HIMSELF. He longs for a relationship with you … and He's is jealous until it is accomplished.
 
Father, thank You for the many ways you deliver me from sin, self, and Satan. Thank you for my initial salvation and all that’s happened since them. But help me to understand where you are taking me and not miss the point. Let me long for YOU in Your fullness. Let my direction always be, not to what You can give, but to You alone. Don’t let me wander to any other idol.
 

Copyright © 2020 Bill Elliff. All Rights Reserved.