All devotions are written by our Founding Pastor Bill Elliff. More blogs and books from Bill at billelliff.com.

Exodus 30-31| The Sufficiency of God

When God has a work to do, He prepares the necessary men and women. When He planned to build the tabernacle in the wilderness—a place which had never been built with such beauty—He prepared skillful men to do the task on a level that could not have happened otherwise. Notice the words He used to describe what He placed inside a group of workers in Exodus 31:
 
"See I have CALLED by name Bezalel” (verse 2)
“I have FILLED him with the Spirit of God in wisdom, understanding, knowledge, and in all kinds of craftsmanship” (verse 3)
“And behold, I Myself have APPOINTED with him Oholiah” (verse 6)
“and in the hearts of all who are skillful, I have PUT skill, that they may make all that I have commanded you.” (verse 7)
 
Of course, to utilize this gifting you must cooperate with him. You must not fear but move forward in faith believing that you will have what is needed at the appointed time. And, you must not respond in rebellion, insisting that this is not the work you want to do. Why would you resist your greatest work and highest calling?
 
A PERSONAL TESTIMONY
Early on in ministry, I was led by God to pastor a church that was considerably larger than my seminary pastorate. I was so afraid of my inadequacy that I almost did not accept God’s assignment. In my wavering faith, I asked the Lord to give me a word of confirmation.
 
The next day I read in my normal, daily reading this statement from a young shepherd named David:
 
“For by You I can run a troop and by my God, I can leap over a wall” (2 Samuel 22:30).
 
David was inadequate, but through God, he was more than adequate.
 
YOUR CALLING
Does God have a task for you to do? Most assuredly He does. Then He will put the calling, empowering, and skill necessary to accomplish His work in and through you. This sufficiency is true for the smallest, daily tasks, and the greatest endeavors. You need not fear. Look to Him and all the sufficiency you need will be provided. You will be able to say with Paul, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13).
 
In this way, God’s miraculous work gets done and all the glory goes entirely to the One who equipped you for the task.
 
Father, thank You that there is no demand made upon my life that is not made on the Christ who lives within me. Help me to not shirk my calling through fear or rebellion. Help me to trust You, relying entirely on Your sufficiency in and through Me. And, lead me to give You all the glory for what is accomplished by Your grace.

Copyright © 2020 Bill Elliff. All Rights Reserved.