All devotions are written by our Founding Pastor Bill Elliff. More blogs and books from Bill at billelliff.com.

Jeremiah 25, 29 | God's Purpose In His Judgements

It is important to know and believe that God is perfect in every way. Therefore, He is perfect in His judgments and their intent. But He is equally perfect in His mercy.
 
The nation of Israel had sinned grievously against the Lord. In response, God had sent the prophet, Jeremiah, to warn them that judgment was coming. They would not listen and continued in their rebellion and sin.
 
“From the thirteenth year of Josiah the son of Amon, king of Judah, even to this day, these twenty-three years the word of the Lord has come to me, and I have spoken to you again and again, but you have not listened. And the Lord has sent to you all His servants the prophets again and again, but you have not listened nor inclined your ear to hear. (Jeremiah 25:3-4)
 
True to His word, God sent the King of Babylon to Israel. Nebuchadnezzar defeated Israel and took them into captivity. They were there for 70 years, just as Jeremiah had prophesied.
 
God told them what to do while they were in captivity.
 
“Seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the LORD on its behalf; for in its welfare you will have welfare.” (Jeremiah 29:7)
 
But then we see what God’s heart was toward His people and His ultimate design in their judgment.
 
10 “For thus says the Lord, ‘When seventy years have been completed for Babylon, I will visit you and fulfill My good word to you, to bring you back to this place.
11 ‘For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.
12 ‘Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.
13 ‘You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.
14 ‘I will be found by you,’ declares the Lord, ‘and I will restore your fortunes and will gather you from all the nations and from all the places where I have driven you,’ declares the Lord, ‘and I will bring you back to the place from where I sent you into exile.’
 
Never doubt it. God judges, and rightfully so. He is always perfect in His judgments. He could bring more judgment and be completely justified in His actions. But His intent is not to bring harm but to awaken people to their sin and need of Him and bring them back to Himself where they belong. He knows that if they continue on in their sinful way, it will lead to irreparable harm.
 
But He is also perfect in His mercy and compassion. As they repent, He will shower them with abundant provision and grace. It’s the nature of a perfect God.
 
Father, thank You for your judgments that You bring on my life and the lives of those around me. I know they are intended for my good. Help me see this and turn quickly to Your reproof. And Father, I am overwhelmed at Your mercies, again and again, and again. Thank You that you have plans for “welfare and not for calamity” for me. Help me to fully, aggressively cooperate with Your plans.
 

Copyright © 2020 Bill Elliff. All Rights Reserved.