All devotions are written by our Founding Pastor Bill Elliff. More blogs and books from Bill at billelliff.com.

Malachi 1 | Treating God Right

“A son honors his father, and a servant his master. Then if I am a father, where is My honor? and if I am a master, where is My respect?” says the LORD of hosts to you, O priests who despise My name. (Malachi 1:6)
 
It’s a common statement and very understandable. “You’re not treating me right,” a wife might say to her husband or vice versa. What they mean is, “I’m your mate and you made a vow to me that you’re not fulfilling.”
 
As is true in a marriage or a family or a relationship, it is also true (and even more so) in our relationship to God.
 
HIS PLACE
 
God created us. He made us and then He sent His Son to buy us back from sin and Satan when we wandered from Him. Twice over we belong to Him. Every breath we have is by His grace. Every “good and perfect gift” comes from Him. All we are and have is purely because of Him.
 
Many of us have surrendered our lives to His leadership and control and embraced Him by faith as our Savior and Master. The question must be asked, “What does He deserve from me today, as my Father, Master, King?”
 
THE BEST
 
The Israelites were giving Him less than best. They were taking the weakest, worst resources, and offering those things to Him. Not the first fruits. Not the best. And God knew this dishonoring practice was an indication of their relationship with Him. God was way down on the list of their priorities and affections.
 
What would it mean to give God the best? The best of our time, attention, focus, affection, obedience, delight? We should think of what a great son would give his father; a great employee would give his employer … and then give God more.
 
He deserves it and our life is not in good working order until we put Him first in everything.
 
Father, forgive me for giving You the leftovers of my time, attention, affection, resources. You are my one and only God. Let me always think of You FIRST, not last, and give what You know is best. May You be blessed by my joyful gifts and my I be constantly reminded of who You are and what You have done for me!
 

Copyright © 2020 Bill Elliff. All Rights Reserved.