All devotions are written by our Founding Pastor Bill Elliff. More blogs and books from Bill at billelliff.com.

Mark 16 | God's Deliberate Encouragement

The Lord had been crucified and his disciples were left in stunned disbelief. All of their hopes and dreams had been nailed to a cross. They had left everything to follow Him and now He was dead. Think of the myriad thoughts and questions and fears that were filling their minds!
 
Now, after the resurrection, an angel appears to three ladies as they came to place spices on Jesus' tomb. He has risen! And they were instructed to go tell the others. 
 
But notice the angels very specific instructions:
 
"Go tell the disciples AND PETER” (Mark 16:7)
 
Peter had been clearly marked as a leader among the disciples, along with James and John. And Peter had fallen away the most, denying the Lord three times, just as Christ had prophesied. Can you imagine the defeat and devastation he was feeling?
 
This is why it is encouraging that God makes a specific, deliberate instruction to tell Peter. He knew the depths of his mourning. Now he comes deliberately to him to announce His resurrection.
 
God knows us. He gives us what we need when we need it. Even when we have blown it royally, He comes to remind us of His resurrected and powerful life—a life we enjoy because He lives in us. A life that lifts us up and encourages us and meets us right where we are. A life that is usable, even with our imperfections.
 
He is intentional in His care and He knows our name.
 
Father, thank You for knowing me. You love me more than I can comprehend. Your desire is for me to do well and experience all that You’ve destined for me. Let me hear my name Father, Lord, spoken by You to my soul, and restore me to the calling and purpose You have for my life. And do it all for Your glory!

Copyright © 2020 Bill Elliff. All Rights Reserved.